PS4 has a new emulator PKG named Mednafen that helps you play Sega, Gameboy, PS1 etc games. I know that I have already shared with you PS1 emulator and told you how you can play PS1 games on PS4. If you talk about our old emulator PCSXR, then you can read bug and issues comments that people have faced on my tutorials. I don’t say Mednafen Emulator is the perfect emulator, but it is much better than PCSXR. PCSXR only runs PS1 games, but through Mednafen you can play games Multi-platform games. I have been listed below.
Mednafen is a different emulator that if you want to use, then you just have to understand it a little bit first. Because this emulator is going to fulfil the wishes of your old games which you miss even today. The thing to note here is that it supports only Jailbroken PS4. If you do not have a PS4 jailbreak, jailbreak your PS4 first. Down below I have mentioned Mednafen best setting, installation introduction, and configuration.
|App Name||Mednafen Multi-System Emulator|
Multi-System Mednafen Covers
- Appl II/II+
- Atari Lynx
- Neo Geo Pocket (Color)
- GameBoy (Color)
- GameBoy Advance
- Nintendo Entertainment System
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- Virtual Boy
- PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 (CD)
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Genesis/Megadrive
- PlayStation 1
- Sega Master System
- Sega Saturn (Experimental, x86_64 only)
How to Install Mednafen Emulator on PS4?
- Extract Mednafen on your computer desktop or any specific folder.
- Plug your USB drive on your PC.
- Format your USB drive with FAT32 or exFAT.
- Move extracted Mednafen PKG on your FAT32 or exFAT formatted USB drive root folder.
- Plug your USB drive on your PS4.
- Enable HEN 2.0.
- Go to debug setting>package Manager and install Mednafen PKG.
That’s how you can install Mednafen emulator on your PS4 console. But you are not done here yet. All the games you can run from your USB. But you have to put BIOS on your PS4 system data. You can use any homebrew application to access your PS4 hard drive or you can go with FTP server.
How to config & run games using Mednafen Emulator on PS4?
- Plug your USB drive on your PC.
- Move extracted Mednafen folder on your USB root.
- Copy Emulator BIOS and paste it under Mednafen Firmware.
- Create a new folder on your USB root and rename it with ROMS
- Put all your games ROM, BIOS, CUE etc on ROMS folder which you want to play.
- Run Mednafen emulator on your PS4 console.
- Go to ROMS folder from the displayed directory.
- Select your game and enjoy.
As I have mentioned in the starting of this article. Mednafen is also not a perfect emulator. But it is better than other emulators. You may face frame drop and lags with some games. I hope it gets fixed soon with new updates.
I can’t compare both of them anywhere. I tried both and I got the better result with Mednafen. Also, you can run multi-console and computer games.
Yes, you can but you have to put some config files on data folder. I know PCSXR have some bugs that now allow you to use controller with some games.
It’s hard to say for me. Because this emulator also new for me. I have tried several games which I don’t see any lag or frame drop.
You’ll need these
- Jailbroken PS4 console – PS4 Jailbreak 5.05
- A USB drive with minimum space 1GB
- Computer or Laptop
- Mednafen PKG
- Open BIOS
- Game ROMS
Conclusion – Now you know the complete Mednafen installation and configuration process. You are free to leave your feedback and issues in the comment section. Like my Facebook page and subscribe to my YouTube channel to stay connected with me.