Most people ask can I convert my PS3 OFW to CFW? The answer is – bgtoolset (PS3 Toolset) allows you to convert your OFW to CFW. But you need to go to HFW (Hybrid Firmware) first. I already have shared with you PS3 HAN installer (nonCFW users) and CFW installer (CFW compatible system) tutorial. Make sure you check your PS3 model number in PS3 Jailbreak compatibility list. If your PS3 system is compatible with the CFW installer and you’ve installed OFW/HFW on it, you can continue this article, if not please go with compatible jailbreak.
Some people say bgtoolset support OFW (Official Firmware) but we highly recommend you to go through HFW (Hybrid Firmware). HFW 4.88 firmware installation is required before applying any patch. Before you follow this process, please clear your cookies and cache from your PS3 browser.
PS3 OFW to CFW 4.88 Process
- Extract all the required files on your computer or laptop in the same folder.
- Plug your USB drive on your PC and format it with FAT32.
- Create root folder PS3 and then inside folder UPDATE in uppercase.
- Put your HFW file in UPDATE folder (Make Sure update file is PS3UPDAT/PS3UPDAT.PUP)
- Put MultiMan (PKG) in USB root.
- Plug your USB drive on your PS3 and go to Setting ⇨ System Software Update
- Select update system software via Storage Media and follow the screen introduction.
- Once you finish the update process please connect internet on your PS3 system.
- Open your internet browser and visit ps3xploit.net/bgtoolset/
- Click on Flahs Memory Manager (It should say CFW compatible PS3: ✔)
- Press X button on Flash memory folder and Save Flash Memory Backup. (We recommand save backup file on USB root)
- Download Flash Memory Patch by pressing X button on Flash memory Patch folder. (Load Via HTTPS)
- Apply Loaded Patch by pressing X on Flash Memory Patch folder (Apply Loaded Patch)
- Read Patch Confirmation Warning and click on YES. (Wait until the end and do not touch anything)
- Once you got patch applied sucessfuly message please reboot your PS3 system manually.
- Now plug your USB drive on your PC and replace CFW 4.88 (Custom Firmware) with HFW 4.88 (Hybrid Firmware).
- Update your system same as you did for HFW and you are good to go.
- Go to Package Manager ⇨ Standard ⇨ and install MutiMan.
You can easily locate your PS3 model number by looking back PS3 system bar code sticker. You’ll see an 11 digits serial number by the model number starting with CECH-XXXX.
Does mean your PS3 system is not compatible with CFW. Please do not continue CFW steps and go with HAN installer.
As I have mentioned above — some people say they do not need to install HFW. But we highly recommend you to install HFW before applying any patch or your system may brick.
Yes, If your system is compatible with CFW. Make sure you check your PS3 model number with CFW compatible list.
It depends on your need and hardware. If you have below CECH-2508B model, Evilnat 4.88.2 is best for you. If you have above CFW compatible model. You do not have any option.
More from SGT
- PS3 Jailbreak 4.88 HAN Installer (nonCFW Users above CECH-2508B)
- PS3 Jailbreak 4.88 CFW Installer (CFW Users above CECH-2508B)
- HFW 4.88
- PS3 CFW Evilnat 4.88